2233 University Ave. W. #355
St. Paul, MN 55155
651-251-0868 fax 651-917-3561
staff at mncitizensforthearts.org
Arts Action Center
Nominations for MCA’s Board Now Open
Minnesota Citizens for the Arts is soliciting nominations for its Board of Trustees. Terms begin November, 2012 and will last for two years. Half of MCA’s 36 board members must come from the Twin Cities metro area, and half from Greater Minnesota. Interested? Fill out the form below and return it by October 9, 2012 by email, fax, or by snail mail to the above address. There are approximately five board openings each year, and MCA’s bylaws ensure that board representation comes from all over the state.
MCA seeks board members who:
- Have a willingness to work, volunteer and come to our meetings.
- Are people with political connections, political strategists, and people with an understanding of the political process, or are willing to learn
- Have mix of party affiliation
- Provide balance in terms of the size or type of organizations represented on the board (large, medium, small, arts education, individual artist, etc.)
- Have clout within their organizations and/or peers, and have the ability and willingness to communicate about the need for arts advocacy
- Provide other balances in terms of representing the state or the arts community (ie diversity in terms of age, race, etc).
- Your nomination to the board is more likely to be successful if you are a paid member of MCA and if you have previously been a part of Arts Advocacy Day, the Vote Yes campaign, or volunteered for the cause in some other way. ***(Please do not nominate someone else unless you have discussed it with them first, and they have provided an answer to the question “Why do you want to be on the MCA board?).***
MCA Board Nomination Form: Answer these questions and send to: firstname.lastname@example.org. More info: http://www.mncitizensforthearts.org/home/volunteer/
- NOMINEE NAME:
- Home Address:
- Work Address:
- Home Phone:
- Work Phone:
- Organization (If appropriate):
- Title (If appropriate):
- Legislative District # (If unknown, MCA can identify it for you):
- Experience with your local arts community:
- Political Experience (desired, but not necessary):
- Why are you interested in serving on the MCA Board of Trustees?
The deadline for applications is September 23, 2012.
able to travel to greater Minnesota, although the majority of time will be spent at the office.
- Interest in, experience with, and an understanding of the state legislature and Minnesota’s political process and some experience in community organizing.
- Good communication skills, especially when speaking to crowds or with people on the phone.
- Experience and interest in working with a non-profit board and the arts community.
- College degree preferred, but not required if experienced.
- An organized, self-starting, positive personality with a sense of humor.
- Computer literacy; preferably experience with Apple Computers, Microsoft Word, Excel, Powerpoint and database system Filemaker.
- Familiarity with social media pages, Twitter, Facebook and YouTube.
Everything MCA does is made possible by our passionate and committed members.
FACEBOOK: Minnesota Citizens for the Arts
GIVE COOL ARTS ADVOCATE GIFTS from MCA’s store at: www.cafepress.com/mnforthearts
TAKE ACTION: www.mncitizensforthearts.org at our frequently updated, one-stop site for: information about
Minnesota Citizens for the Arts and how you can get involved, an Action Center where you can write a letter to your legislator, or even find out who your legislators are, facts about the arts in Minnesota, the latest on legislative and congressional action on arts issues and more!
PRIVACY: MCA values your privacy, and will not sell or distribute your personal information to anyone.
ABOUT: MCA is a nonpartisan statewide arts advocacy organization whose mission is to ensure opportunity for all people to have access to and involvement in the arts. MCA organizes the
arts community and lobbies the Minnesota State Legislature and Congress on issues pertaining to the nonprofit arts. If you are interested in learning more about how to advocate for the arts,
or how to activate people in your arts organization or community to lobby for the arts, please call us at 651-251-0868 or e-mail staff at mncitizensforthearts.org. State arts funding supports access to the arts for all Minnesotans. The state-funded Minnesota State Arts Board and eleven Regional Arts Councils provide grants and services in every Minnesota county for artists, arts organizations, arts projects and school artist residencies. For more information on regional or state grants, go to www.arts.state.mn.us.